March 1, 2021
How to Enjoy Life’s Simple Pleasures
“If someone asked me what my idea of luxury is, I think my answer would be: flowers in the house all year around.” – Mary Sarton
Searching in vain for something to make us happy is enough to drive anyone a bit crazy. This doesn't mean in a clinical sense but more in the vein of running around in circles.
We do need to find some effective ways to deal with everyday stresses and overcome the sameness of routine. Here’s a novel idea: Take the time to enjoy life’s simple pleasures.
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures
Think for a minute about simplicity. What could be easier than taking a brief break? Close your eyes. Engage in nothing more than listening to the silence of your thoughts. If what’s going on in your brain is a whirlwind of competing thoughts, acknowledge the chaos and let it begin to subside.
- Concentrate on your breathing, in and out, in and out, all the while reaffirming that life is precious and good. How simple is that?
When most people think of how to enjoy life’s simple pleasures, they can't produce a list that doesn’t include the big three. These are money, possessions, and dozens of friends. Of these three, only having friends truly counts as a simple pleasure. The others are accumulations of material things – certainly not conducive to overall happiness. Of course, many other things may pop to the front of your mind as a simple pleasure that isn’t, but you get the point.
Now, back to enjoying life’s simple pleasures, what are some of these and how do we overcome our reticence to appreciate and enjoy them? Simpler still, what are the steps we can take to enjoy life’s little pleasures?
If it gives you joy, it’s a simple pleasure, period. These are easy ones:
- Smell the fragrance of flowers on a morning walk. That’s a simple pleasure.
- Savor the taste of a delicious meal. That’s a simple pleasure.
- Delight in the laughter of your young child or the sound of your friends laughing together with you. Another simple pleasure.
- Reflect on the wonder of the velvety touch of a rose petal.
- Marvel over the silky softness of a kitten’s fur.
- Reciprocate the delicious caress of your loved one.
These are all such simple pleasures.
Life’s simple pleasures are easier to recognize and appreciate when you do this. Focus on life now. Strip away the incessant need to acquire and accumulate. Think only about the here and now. Be present.
As to how to get going enjoying them, here are a few suggestions:
- Make time each day to do something you enjoy. It doesn’t have to be a long time. Just 15 minutes is a good start. Read a chapter of a new book by a favorite author. Go for a walk outside. Talk with a friend. Work on a hobby. This isn’t too hard to figure out.
- Think of this as a treat. Engaging in some well-deserved and much-needed me-time is critically important. It allows you to rejuvenate and regain your sense of well-being, to take a break from the non-stop daily pressures and schedules. Everyone likes a treat. Why not give yourself one?
- Need help? Craft a list. Put on the spot to think about a simple pleasure? Do yourself a favor and write a few down as they come to you. That way, you’ll have several choices when you do decide to stop and enjoy one of them.
- Remember that enjoying life’s simple pleasures helps you enjoy living. We’re only here a short amount of time. Make the most of each moment and enjoy every minute of each simple pleasure.
* * *
To automatically get my posts, sign up for my RSS feed.
Want to get my free newsletter? Sign up here to receive uplifting messages and positive quotes in my Daily Thoughts. You’ll also get the top self-help articles and stories of the week from my blog and more.
Helping You Find Your Hope
“The key to finding happiness is to engage in positive thinking about life and the challenges it throws at us.” – Suzanne Kane
I’m Suzanne Kane. Through my personal experiences, I’ve learned that life can be vibrant and full of purpose. Yet so many people struggle to find their niche, to experience the success and happiness they desire.
I know that the key to finding happiness is to actively engage in positive thinking about life and the challenges it throws at us.
You’re Righ/daily-thoughts/t to Want More
Are you looking for direction in your life? Maybe you feel like your personal growth has hit a standstill? You aren’t alone. There are millions of people out there just like you that feel lost and don’t know what to do about it. As a writer who experienced this firsthand, I created this website to share uplifting messages, positive inspirational quotes, and self-help articles.
Here and in my daily blog you’ll find help to:
- Contextualize events in everyday life in a way you can relate to
- Realize the importance of setting goals and reaching for dreams
- Learn how to break free from funk and start down a path to positive thinking
- Shake off stagnation so you can begin to improve your life and find the happiness you once found so elusive
- Change your life outlook from pessimism to optimism
- Be inspired through Daily Thoughts, a blog with uplifting messages that help lift your spirits and challenge you to do more
I know you want more out of life. Everyone does. The beginning of your path to success, the start of living a life that’s vibrant and full of purpose, begins today.
Quick Reads to Jumpstart Change
Everyone deserves to be happy and to feel fulfilled. It shouldn’t be something that people have to pay to receive. Read my blog for self-help articles whenever you want a quick read that stimulates, motivates, and jumpstarts change in your life.
Sign up for my Newsletter
I know you’re busy. Let me make it easy for you to stay connected. Sign up for my newsletter so that you can see uplifting messages and positive quotes and you’ll get the top self-help articles and stories of the week and more.
I will never share your personal information. You have my word on that.
Check Out Daily Thoughts
One of my favorite activities is writing Daily Thoughts. These all begin with positive inspirational quotes from people both famous and little-known. I then provide my perspective on the topic so that you can glean tidbits that resonate with you.
I like to make you smile. But, just like my goal with my daily blog, in Daily Thoughts, I’ll also challenge you to engage in positive thinking, to push past preconceived notions of what you can do, and what you’re afraid is beyond your ability.
If you miss a day and want to catch up, check out the archive of Daily Thoughts. There’s lots of good stuff. And the best part is I write daily positive quotes filled with uplifting messages and positive thinking.
Contact Suzanne with any questions you have about her self-help articles, to suggest additional topics, or inquire about her writing, editing, and consulting services. Our writer loves hearing from readers.